a larger version of the picture click in the center of Image.
This Page May Take Slightly Longer To Download
Pooley Bridge can be found next to
the River Eamont at the northern end of Lake Ullswater as
it flows onto Penrith.
The name Pooley Bridge derives from a large pool in the
River Eamont, just before it flows out of Ullswater which
gives the name Pooley. Then in the 16th Century, a bridge
was built across the river, hence Pooley Bridge. The pool
has now disappeared ,but the bridge can still be seen.
Pooley Bridge used to be a small fishing and farming community.
The area still has a supply of Trout, Salmon and a freshwater
Herring called the Schelly to be found. Boats can be found
moored here and the Ullswater
Steamers also depart from here offering trips along
the 7 mile lake to Howtown and Glenridding
at the southern end of the lake.
Within the village there are two main streets with delightful
old stone houses. From the bridge there are some excellent
views to be seen with the lake in front of you as it stretches
out with wooded fells on its shores which rise up to the
higher hills in the Lakes.
From the village, excellent walks can be taken that offer
views to match and a short walk up to Dunmallard Hill reveals
TThe church of St. Paul's can be found in the centre of
the village and dates from around 1868.
Clicking on the various
Level Maps below will show different map views of Pooley
Bridge and District. Maps Courtesy of Multi
County Level Map
Town Level Map
Street Level Map
Pooley Bridge - Quick Links